Are you and your friends looking for a great group getaway? Group travel is the perfect way to explore new places, create lasting memories, and bond with friends. There are so many trip ideas that make it easy to plan a fantastic vacation, no matter how far or close you choose to go.
For shorter trips within driving distance, check out nearby national parks, beach towns, and big cities for a weekend stay. If you want to venture further away, consider international destinations like Europe or Asia. From mountainside ski trips to tropical island getaways, endless options exist for friends looking to travel together.
34 Group Travel Ideas in the United States
- Road trip: Rent a car and hit the road to a destination of your choice. It’s a great way to explore the country and create memories together.
- Coastal Drive: Take a road trip along the coast, stopping at beaches and coastal towns.
- National Park Tour: Visit several national parks and explore the great outdoors together.
- Wine Country: Visit wineries and vineyards, taste different wines, and learn about winemaking.
- Historic Route 66: Travel along the legendary Route 66, stopping at unique roadside attractions and historical landmarks.
- City Hopping: Explore multiple cities in one trip and experience the culture and nightlife of each place.
- Scenic Mountain Drive: Take a road trip through the mountains and enjoy breathtaking views and fresh mountain air.
- Music Festival Tour: Visit several music festivals and concerts and experience different genres and artists.
- Foodie Road Trip: Sample different cuisines and local specialties at restaurants and food trucks along the way.
- Surf Safari: Head to the coast and catch some waves, try out different surf spots, and enjoy the beach life.
- Snowboard and Ski Tour: Explore the slopes and enjoy the snow by trying different ski resorts and runs.
- Cruise on Wheels: Rent an RV and travel across the country enjoying the comforts of home on the road.
- Off-road adventure: Take an SUV or 4×4 and explore rugged terrain and backcountry roads.
- Beer Tasting Tour: Visit different breweries and pubs, taste local beers, and learn about beer making.
- Cultural Immersion: Visit cultural sites and learn about different customs and traditions.
- Haunted Road Trip: Visit haunted places and learn about local legends and spooky stories.
- Photography Expedition: Take a road trip to scenic locations and capture breathtaking landscapes and unique wildlife.
- Volunteer Trip: Give back to the community by getting involved with nonprofit organizations.
- Island hopping: take a ferry or private boat and explore different islands, enjoying the beaches and tropical weather.
- Theme Park Adventure: visit several amusement parks and ride thrilling roller coasters and attractions.
- Animal Safari: Visit several wildlife reserves and observe exotic animals in their natural habitat.
- Vintage Car Tour: Rent or bring a vintage car and drive along scenic routes.
- Yoga Retreat: Take a road trip to a yoga retreat center and practice yoga and meditation together.
- Winter Wonderland: Take a road trip to snowy destinations and enjoy winter sports, hot cocoa and cozy cabins.
- Spa getaway: visit different spas and wellness centers and indulge in massages and treatments.
- RV Camping: Take an RV and camp in different places, enjoy nature, and sleep under the stars.
- Movie Location Tour: Visit locations where famous movies and TV shows were filmed and relive iconic scenes.
- Golf Adventure: Visit different golf courses and play a round together.
- Art Gallery Tour: Visit different art galleries and museums and learn about different styles and artists.
- Cross-Country Adventure: Take a trip from coast to coast and experience different regions and sights.
- Farm-to-Table Tour: visit various farms and farmers’ markets, learn about sustainable agriculture, and enjoy fresh, locally-grown produce.
- Roadside Attraction Tour: stop at quirky and unusual roadside attractions, such as giant statues, unusual museums, and offbeat landmarks.
- Lake Tahoe: Take a road trip through scenic Lake Tahoe and enjoy water activities like kayaking and paddle boarding.
- Fall Foliage Tour: Admire the colorful foliage on an autumn road trip, stopping in small towns and cozy cafes.
20 Group Travel Ideas for Trips Abroad
- European City Tour: explore several cities like Paris or Amsterdam in Europe and experience each place’s art, culture, and cuisine.
- Beach Vacation: Relax on tropical beaches and enjoy water activities such as swimming, snorkeling, and surfing in Bali or Thailand.
- African Safari: Observe exotic wildlife and learn about conservation in Africa.
- Cultural Immersion: Learn about different customs and traditions by visiting cultural sites and participating in local festivals in India.
- Food Tour: Sample cuisines and local specialties at restaurants and food markets in Mexico.
- Island hopping: Take a ferry or private boat and explore different islands, enjoying Hawaii’s beaches and tropical weather.
- Adventure Tour: Try adrenaline-pumping activities like bungee jumping, zip-lining, and white water rafting.
- Historical Tour: visit historical sites and museums to learn more about the past of different countries and civilizations.
- Volunteer: give back to the community by working at non-profit organizations abroad.
- Cruise: Travel on a luxury cruise ship and visit different destinations worldwide.
- Ski Trip: Hit the slopes and enjoy winter sports like skiing and snowboarding in countries like France, Switzerland, or New Zealand.
- Wildlife tour: observe exotic animals in their natural habitat, such as the rainforests of South America or the savannahs of Africa.
- Bus Trip: Take a ride along scenic routes and explore European cities and sights.
- Language Immersion: Learn a new language by signing up for a language class and practicing with locals.
- Sustainable travel: Explore eco-friendly and sustainable travel options to reduce your impact on the environment.
- Music Festival Tour: Attend several music festivals and concerts and learn about different genres and artists.
- Art and Architecture Tour: Visit various museums and galleries to admire the art and architecture of different countries and regions.
- Trekking and hiking: Explore natural landscapes like the Himalayas or Patagonia while trekking or hiking.
- Beach and Jungle Adventures: combine relaxing on the beach with exploring the jungle by visiting destinations like Costa Rica or Thailand.
- Health and wellness retreat: Recover with yoga, meditation, spa treatments, and healthy cuisine at wellness retreats abroad.
If you’re traveling with a group, there are ways to make the experience more enjoyable. Follow these tips to make your next trip more enjoyable:a
The more time you have, the more likely everything will go smoothly. Planning early can also save you money. For example, if you book early, you can take advantage of lower prices and special offers. Plus, planning early gives you time to review all available options and decide which makes the most sense for your group.
If some members of your group pay for their flights or accommodations, consider sharing the cost with them so everyone pays less overall. This will also help avoid conflicts over who should pay what when splitting the cost later (which isn’t ideal).
Ensure everyone knows where they’re going and how they’ll get there. If someone is accidentally left behind at the airport or gets lost on the way to their destination hotel, that’s no fun for anyone involved!
Talk Openly About Any Concerns or Issues That Arise During Your Trip
If you’re leading the group, you’re responsible for ensuring everyone is informed and knows what to expect.
Ensuring everyone in the group has all the information they need is essential. If someone is running late or can’t go, let them know. If there is a change in plans, let them know. You don’t want anyone to feel left out or not know what’s next.
It’s also important to inform people about any restrictions or limitations on activities – for example, if specific areas are closed due to flooding or mudslides or if certain activities are no longer possible due to bad weather conditions.
If you’re traveling with kids, they must know about all the rules and restrictions so they don’t get upset if they can’t do something they’d like to do because it’s not allowed by law or for other reasons.
Make Sure Everyone Is on the Same Page
When you’re traveling with a group of friends or family, it can be difficult to keep everyone happy. If you want your vacation to go smoothly, here are some tips on how to make sure everyone is on the same page:
When organizing the trip, make sure everyone has the exact expectations for the trip. If you’re going to another city and some want to relax by the pool while others want to see all the sights, everyone must know what to expect.
Give each person their own space. It can be easy for a friend or family member to feel left out when everyone else is having fun together. To avoid this problem, give each person space to do what they want without worrying about getting in everyone else’s way.
Try to plan activities that everyone in your group will enjoy. If you have kids in your group, make sure there are enough activities for them and their parents and siblings so that no one feels left out.