It’s pumpkin season again! And that means it’s time for some fun writing prompts. These ten prompts will motivate your kids to write about pumpkins. These prompts will inspire your children to create some wonderful writing pieces, from stories to poems. Happy pumpkin writing!
10 Pumpkin Writing Prompts
- Write a story about a pumpkin who goes on an adventure.
- What if pumpkins could talk? Write a conversation between two pumpkins.
- Write a poem about the color orange.
- Describe what it would be like to eat a pumpkin pie.
- What does a pumpkin seed look like up close? Draw a picture and write about it.
- Write a story about a family of pumpkins who live in a patch.
- How could you turn a pumpkin into a carriage? Write an imaginative story about it.
- What would it be like to be inside a pumpkin? Describe the experience in detail.
- Create your pumpkin character and write a short story about him or her.
- Pretend you are a farmer growing pumpkins. Write an entry in your journal about your day-to-day activities.
The Many Meanings of Pumpkins
Though Halloween may be over, that does not mean that pumpkins are no longer relevant. Pumpkins are more popular than ever. From pumpkin spice lattes to pumpkin-scented candles, this fall fruit (yes, fruit!) is everywhere. But why are pumpkins so popular?
The answer may be that pumpkins can be many things to many people. For some, pumpkins are a beloved fall food. Nothing screams fall like a big slice of pumpkin pie (or two… or three…). For others, pumpkins are a decoration. Expertly carving a face into a pumpkin and placing it on your front porch is a time-honored tradition. And, of course, some use pumpkins as a means of transportation (ahem, the Great Pumpkin Race).
So what does all this mean? It means that whether you love them or hate them, there’s no denying that pumpkins are one of the most popular symbols of fall. And that’s not likely to change anytime soon. So if you’re looking for a way to get into the autumn spirit, why not give pumpkins a try? You might just be surprised by how much you enjoy them.
3 Fun Ways to Decorate a Pumpkin This Fall
While carving pumpkins is a Halloween tradition for many, painting or decorating them is a great way to get creative and have fun. Here are three ideas to get you started.
- Give Your Pumpkin a Makeover
Want to give your pumpkin a whole new look? Cover it in glitter, sequins, or fabric scraps. You can even add googly eyes or pipe cleaners for some extra personality. Get creative and see what you can come up with!
- Paint a Masterpiece
If you’re feeling artistic, why not paint your pumpkin? You can use a traditional jack-o’-lantern design or get creative and paint something unique. If you’re unsure where to start, try looking for inspiration online.
- Turn Your Pumpkin Into a Character
This one’s perfect if you’re short on time (or if you don’t want to deal with the mess of carving). Simply give your pumpkin a few simple features—a mouth, some eyes, and maybe some eyebrows—and voila! You’ve got yourself a cute little character. You can even dress them up with a scarf or hat.