Do you love writing romance stories? Are you looking for a little inspiration to keep your imagination flowing? If so, then you’re in luck! In this blog post, we will provide 140 romance writing prompts to help get your creative juices flowing. Whether you are a seasoned writer or just starting, these prompts will help you develop new and exciting story ideas. So what are you waiting for? Get started today!
Romance Writing Prompts
This post will break down romance writing ideas into various areas and genres to help you navigate directly to the creative writing prompts most helpful for your writing.
20 Love Story Ideas
- A young woman moves to a new city and meets a handsome stranger who helps her adjust to her new surroundings.
- A couple is forced to spend the night in a remote cabin after their car breaks down, and they end up discovering hidden desires for each other.
- A high school student falls in love with her teacher, but their relationship is forbidden.
- A woman meets a man online and begins an intense cyber-relationship, but things get complicated when they finally meet in person.
- Two people who are seemingly complete opposites fall in love and must deal with the challenges of a mixed-race relationship.
- After a bad breakup, a woman takes a road trip to clear her head and meets the man of her dreams.
- A woman gets married to her childhood sweetheart but begins to question her decision after the wedding night.
- A young couple goes on their first date and gets lost in the city streets late at night.
- An office worker falls for her boss and has to find a way to deal with the complications of a workplace romance.
- A woman returns home for Thanksgiving after being away at college for several years and finds that everything has changed while she was gone.
- Write a story about a love that is forbidden by society.
- Write a story about two people who are from different worlds and fall in love.
- Write a story about a broken-hearted person who falls in love with someone new.
- Write a story about finding love in the most unexpected place.
- Write a story about first love and all of the emotions that come with it.
- Write a story about two people who are opposites but still find love.
- Write a story about finding your soulmate later in life.
- Write a story about unrequited love and the heartache that comes with it.
- Write a story about forbidden love and the lengths people will go to be together.
- Write a story about star-crossed lovers and the tragedy that befalls them.
19 Paranormal Romance Story Prompts
- A young woman moves into a new house and begins to experience strange things. She soon realizes that the house is haunted by a ghost who is in love with her.
- A woman unable to have children learns she is pregnant with a demon’s child. The child’s father is determined to take it back, no matter what.
- A witch falls in love with a mortal man and must choose between saving him or saving her coven.
- A group of friends stumbles upon a cursed mirror that causes them to fall in love with the first person they see upon looking into it.
- A vampire falls in love with a human woman and must protect her from his kind.
- A girl discovers that she is a shape-shifter and must figure out how to control her powers before they get out of control.
- Two people who are fated to together find themselves on opposite sides of a war that could end up destroying the world as they know it.
- Write a story about a vampire and werewolf who fall in love.
- Write a story about a witch who falls in love with a warlock.
- Write a story about a ghost who falls in love with a human.
- Write a story about an angel who falls in love with a demon.
- Write a story about a mermaid who falls in love with a human.
- Write a story about an immortal who falls in love with a mortal.
- A shifter falls in love with a human.
- Two reincarnated people keep finding themselves drawn to each other throughout the centuries.
- The mortal world and the spirit world collide when two lovers cross paths.
- Two people who are cursed together find true love in the face of adversity.
- A guardian angel falls in love with a human, and they must navigate the dangerous waters of forbidden love.
- A genie falls in love with a human, and they must break the curse that has kept them apart for centuries.
21 Fantasy Romance Prompts
- A woman discovers that she has a magical power to heal others. She soon falls in love with a man who is injured in battle and must use her power to save him.
- A young girl is taken to a faerie kingdom against her will and must find a way to escape before she is trapped there forever.
- An elf prince must choose between his duty to his kingdom and his love for a human girl he met during his travels.
- Write a story about an elf who falls in love with a dwarf.
- Write a story about dragons who fall in love with elves.
- Write a story about fairies who fall in love with humans.
- The last dragon falls in love with a human and must protect her from those who would do her harm.
- A prince and a peasant girl fall in love and must fight to be together.
- A prophecy says that a dragon will save a princess, so she goes into hiding, waiting for her dragon prince to come to rescue her.
- A pirate and a noblewoman fall in love while on a dangerous treasure hunt.
- After a freak storm, a group of strangers finds themselves stranded on an uncharted island filled with mystical creatures.
- A young girl is chosen to be the next queen of her kingdom, but she must first pass a series of tests to prove her worthiness.
- An elf and a human meet and fall in love while defending their respective kingdoms from an invasion of trolls.
- In a world where magic is outlawed, two wizards must keep their relationship hidden or risk being put to death.
- A group of friends stumbles upon a secret garden where they meet fairy-tale characters who have been frozen in time for centuries.
- A young woman discovers she is actually the long-lost daughter of a royal family and must now take her place as the rightful heir to the throne.
- A group of friends stumble upon a genie lamp and are granted three wishes, leading to hilarious adventures.
- When two feuding families cross paths at a masquerade ball, they are forced to put their differences aside and fall in love instead.
- After being turned into animals by an evil witch, the two lovers must find each other again and break the curse before it’s too late.
- A woman wakes up one day with no memory of who she is or where she came from, but she begins to piece things together when she meets a charming stranger who seems to know everything about her..
- An elf falls in love with a human girl, but their relationship is forbidden, so they have to make all sorts of sneaky arrangements to be together.
18 Romance Short Story Starters
- Write a story about two people in love but can’t be together for some reason.
- Write a story about a love forbidden for religious or cultural reasons.
- Write a story about a forbidden love because one of the partners is married to someone else.
- Write a story about two people who are from different worlds and can’t be together because of it.
- Write a story about two people in love, but their families are enemies.
- Write a story about two people in love but both afraid to admit it to each other.
- Write a story about two people who meet and fall in love online but have never met in person.
- Write a story about two people who have an instant connection and fall in love at first sight.
- Write a story about two soulmates separated by distance who can only communicate through letters or emails.
- Write a story about two people in love but having to keep their relationship a secret from everyone else.
- Write a story about two best friends who fall in love and deal with the consequences of their relationship getting out to the rest of their social circle.
- Write a story on an ocean cruise where the main characters meet and fall in love throughout the voyage.
- Write a post-apocalyptic romance where the world has been destroyed, and the only thing left is love.
- Write a fairytale retelling where the prince and princess meet and fall in love, but their families forbid them from being together.
- Write a science fiction romance where aliens have replaced the human race, and the main characters meet and fall in love while trying to figure out what is happening on Earth.
- Write a Gothic romance where the main characters are forced to spend time together in an old dark house while they try to solve a mystery.
- Write a historical romance set during World War II where the main characters meet and fall in love while working on the same army base.
- Write a contemporary romance set at college where the main characters meet and fall for each other while stuck on opposite ends of a dorm feud.
16 Romantic Comedy Prompts
- Write a story about two best friends who fall in love with each other.
- Write a story about a mismatched couple who find love despite their differences.
- Write a story about a woman trying to find Mr. Right but keeps dating the wrong men.
- Write a story about a man who is trying to find Mrs. Right but keeps dating the wrong woman.
- Write a story about two dating people who keep getting interrupted by comical misunderstandings.
- Write a story about two people who always compete with each other but eventually fall in love.
- Write a story about two co-workers who are constantly arguing but end up falling for each other.
- Write a story about two friends who fall in love after realizing they have more in common than they thought.
- Write a story about two people who start hating each other but eventually fall in love.
- Write a story about an online dating match that turns out to be completely different than what the person expected.
- Write a story about two people who are opposites but can’t help but be drawn to each other.
- Write a story about a love triangle that doesn’t go the way you expect.
- Write a story about a man trying to win back his ex-girlfriend but falling for her sister instead.
- Write a story about a woman unlucky in love until she meets her perfect match.
- Write a story set in the future, where humans and robots can fall in love with each other.
- Write a story about an office romance that starts with one drunken night after work.
18 Historical Romance Prompts
- A Regency-era love story takes place against the backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars.
- A forbidden love affair between a wealthy plantation owner and his slave girl.
- An epic romance set in the Victorian era, spanning from the poverty-ridden slums of London to the glittering ballrooms of high society.
- A medieval love story set against the backdrop of a bloody civil war.
- A heartwarming tale of two lovers who are reunited after being separated by a devastating natural disaster.
- A steamy romance set in the roaring 1920s, complete with speakeasies and jazz music.
- An inspiring love story set against the backdrop of the civil rights movement.
- A contemporary romance about two people who fall in love despite belonging to different social circles.
- An epic tale of love and adventure, set against the backdrop of ancient Greece or Rome.
- A moving story about a young couple who find each other amid a life-changing tragedy.
- A Gothic Romance is set in an old mansion rumored to be haunted by ghosts.
- A Regency-era love story in which the two protagonists must hide their relationship from society.
- A Viking romance set in 8th century Scandinavia.
- A Tudor-era romance in which the two lovers are forced apart by political intrigue.
- An espionage love story set during the Cold War.
- A Civil War-era love story in which a Union soldier falls for a Confederate belle.
- A Medieval love story about a forbidden love between a lord and his Lady-in-waiting.
- An Old West romance about a cowboy who falls for a saloon girl in Dodge City, Kansas.
15 Science Fiction Romance Story Prompts
- A scientist creates a serum that turns people into zombies, and the only thing standing between him and world domination is the love of his life.
- When an ancient curse threatens to destroy the world, two lovers must travel back in time to stop it from happening.
- A post-apocalyptic love story about two survivors who find solace in each other’s company as they battle to rebuild civilization.
- A futuristic love story set in a world where scientists have developed a serum that can create perfect relationships.
- A human and an alien fall in love on a spaceship heading to a new planet.
- A cyborg and a human fall in love in a post-apocalyptic world.
- A pair of astronauts stranded on an ice planet find each other and fall in love.
- A human lives on a planet populated by aliens and falls in love with one of them.
- An android and a human fall in love and must fight against the government to be together.
- Aliens take a group of humans prisoner, and one of them falls for the captain of the ship.
- An alien race invading Earth causes havoc, but one couple finds true love amidst the chaos.
- Robots have taken over the world, but one lonely robot falls for a human insurgent fighting against them.
- In a future world where the government regulates relationships, two people manage to find each other and fight for their right to be together.
- The only survivors of an apocalypse are a group of humans who have been turned into zombies, but one man still retains his humanity…and his desire for one woman).
- In a world where emotions have been outlawed, two people find each other and discover the power of love).
11 Valentine’s Day Story Prompts
- A young couple is celebrating their first Valentine’s Day together. They are both nervous and excited about spending the day together.
- A couple has been married for many years, but they have lost the spark in their relationship. They are determined to reignite the flame this Valentine’s Day.
- Single people dread Valentine’s Day because they always feel lonely and left out.
- Two people who are in love decide to elope on Valentine’s Day.
- A woman is trying to figure out whether or not she should break up with her boyfriend on Valentine’s Day.
- A man plans a grand gesture for his girlfriend on Valentine’s Day.
- A woman gets a chance to relive her high school romance on Valentine’s Day.
- Two people who are falling out of love find themselves stuck together on Valentine’s Day.
- A couple is trying to salvage their relationship after a huge fight on Valentine’s Day.
- Two married people fall in love with other people on Valentine’s Day.
- A woman realizes she has been in love with her best friend for years on Valentine’s Day.
How to Write About Love
Love is one of the most complicated and nuanced emotions that we experience. It can be difficult to put into words and even more difficult to capture in a story. However, with a little practice, it is possible to write about love in an accurate and engaging way.
The first step in writing about love is understanding what it is. Love is not just a passion or attraction; it is a combination of feelings that includes affection, care, and intimacy. When trying to capture love in your writing, focusing on the emotional connection between your characters rather than just the physical attraction is important.
Another important thing to remember when writing about love is that it is not always happy and perfect. Love can be messy and complicated, often leading to heartbreak. However, that does not mean that it is any less worth writing about. Portraying the complexities of love can make for a much more interesting story.
If you have difficulty capturing the essence of love in your writing, try reading some romantic poetry or novels for inspiration. The best way to learn how to write about something is to read about it from other talented writers.
Once you understand what love is and how to write about it, the rest of the process becomes much easier. Just let your creativity flow and let your characters take control. With a little practice, you can write beautiful stories about love that will touch your readers’ hearts.
What Romance Readers Want
To write a romance story that will capture readers’ hearts, you need to understand what they are looking for. Romance readers want a story full of emotion with a happily-ever-after ending. They want to feel the excitement and anticipation of the characters as they fall in love, and they want to feel the emotions that come along with a happy ending.
One of the most important things for a romance author to remember is to make their characters believable. Readers need to be able to relate to the characters and feel like they are living their story. This is why giving your characters realistic motivations and flaws is so important.
How to Build Romantic Tension in Your Writing
Romantic tension is an important part of any love story. It can make the reader feel the characters’ emotions and suspense as they wait to see what will happen next. Here are a few tips on how to create romantic tension in your writing:
- Establish strong chemistry between your characters. The more drawn to each other, your characters are, the more tension there will be.
- Use subtle clues to hint at their attraction. For example, have one character catch the other looking at them with a certain intensity or have them brush up against each other accidentally.
- Play with their expectations. Have one character do something that surprises the other or keeps them apart for longer than expected. This will create anticipation and make the reader want to discover what happens next.
- Use cliffhangers sparingly. While they can effectively create suspense, too many cliffhangers can frustrate the reader. Save them for key moments in your story that will make your readers want to keep reading.
What Does a Happy Ending Mean in Romance Writing?
For some people, it might mean the couple getting together and living happily ever after. For others, it might mean the couple overcoming their obstacles and finding a way to be together. There is no wrong answer, as long as the ending leaves the reader feeling happy and satisfied.
A good romance story should always have a satisfying ending. The reader should feel like the characters they’ve been rooting for have finally gotten their happy ending. This doesn’t mean that the story has to be sunshine and rainbows the entire time. A little bit of conflict can make the ending all the more rewarding. But, at the end of the day, the characters should be content and happy with their lives.
What is a romance trope?
A romance trope is a recurring plot device or theme in romances. Some common tropes include secret baby, a second chance at love, and enemies to lovers. These tropes can be used to create a predictable but enjoyable story.
How do you write a good romance scene?
When writing a good romance scene, capturing the emotional intensity between the two characters is important. You want the reader to feel the connection and passion between them. To do this, you need to create believable and compelling dialogue and descriptive scenes that bring the story to life. You also need to ensure that the romance progresses naturally and doesn’t seem rushed or forced.
How do you write a realistic romance?
When writing a realistic romance, it’s important to make the characters feel like real people. This means giving them believable motivations and flaws and making their interactions feel natural. It’s also important to create a sense of intimacy between the characters without resorting to unrealistic or cheesy plot devices. By taking the time to develop your characters and setting up a believable relationship, you can create a romance that feels true to life.
How do you write a unique romance story?
One of the best things about romance writing is that there are endless possibilities for plot and story ideas. You can explore different settings, periods, and genres. You can also create your unique twist on the classic love story. Mixing and matching different elements allows you to come up with a story that is truly original and one-of-a-kind.
How do you write a passionate love scene?
A passionate love scene conveys the intense emotions of falling in love. It should be full of descriptive language and romantic gestures that will make the reader feel like they are right there in the moment. To write a passionate love scene, you need to put yourself in the mindset of two people who are madly in love. Conjure up all of the feelings of excitement, desire, and passion that come with being in love and let them flow onto the page.
How do you write a non-cliché love story?
Here are a few tips to help you avoid clichés:
- Avoid using too many overused tropes and plot devices.
- Write about the smaller moments that make up a relationship, rather than only focusing on the grand gestures.
- Let your characters be complex and multi-dimensional rather than simply falling into stereotypes.
- Find new and interesting ways to explore love and relationships.
- Be creative and original in your storytelling!
How can you spice up your love story?
One way to spice up your love story is to add unexpected twists and turns. This can keep your readers engaged and guessing what will happen next. You can also add elements of suspense, mystery, and even danger.