Do you love writing fantasy stories? Are you looking for some inspiration for your next creative writing project? If so, you’re in luck! This blog post will discuss 71 fantastical story ideas that will get your creative juices flowing. Whether you’re looking to write a fantasy novel or screenplay or just develop some new ideas for your Dungeons and Dragons campaign, these story prompts will help get you started. So what are you waiting for? Start brainstorming today!
71 Fantasy Story Ideas
When writing a fantasy story, there are endless possibilities to consider. Whether you’re looking to write about a group of adventurers who go on a quest to save the world or a young girl who discovers her magical powers and must stop an evil wizard from taking over the kingdom, the sky is the limit.
If you’re stuck for ideas, here are 71 fantastical writing prompts that will get your creative juices flowing:
- A young girl discovers that she has magical powers and must use them to stop a dark wizard from conquering the kingdom.
- A group of friends finds themselves transported to a world of magic and adventure, where they must save the kingdom from destruction.
- A group of rebels fights against an evil empire that has enslaved their people.
- A young boy must find the courage to save his family from a dragon that has been terrorizing their village.
- A group of adventurers travels to a remote island searching for treasure, only to find themselves fighting for their lives against monstrous creatures.
- An epic battle between good and evil occurs in a world of floating castles and magical creatures.
- A princess must journey to a faraway land to rescue her kidnapped brother from a tyrannical sorcerer.
- A group of mercenaries is hired to protect a kingdom from an impending invasion by an army of monsters.
- A wizard must embark on a quest to find three magical objects that have been stolen from the kingdom’s archives.
- A small village is threatened by an evil force sucking the life out of the land, leaving it barren and desolate.
- A young girl discovers that she has the power to heal others with her touch.
- A group of friends finds a mysterious box that grants them magical powers.
- A kingdom is threatened by a powerful dark wizard who can control the people’s minds.
- A group of friends stumbles upon a hidden world full of magical creatures and monsters.
- A young man discovers that he is the descendant of a powerful dragon slayer.
- A group of kids must stop an evil sorcerer from taking over their town.
- A girl discovers she is a fairy princess kidnapped by humans years ago.
- A group of friends discovers a secret passage that leads to a lost city filled with treasure and adventure.
- A boy must stop an evil warlock from taking over his kingdom and enslaving the people.
- A group of kids finds a magical ring that turns them into superheroes
- A young farm girl discovers that she has the power to heal others with her touch.
- A group of adventurers stumbles upon a lost city made entirely of gold.
- A wizard creates a potion that turns everyone in the kingdom into animals.
- A princess is forced to marry a dragon to save her kingdom.
- A group of children finds a secret passage that leads to a magical world hidden inside the Earth.
- A young girl discovers that she is a fairy and must protect the magical creatures of her world from humans who want to destroy them.
- An evil sorcerer steals the magic from all the sorcerers in the kingdom, leaving them powerless.
- A group of friends discovers that they are magical creatures who have been transformed into humans by a curse.
- A group of people is transported to a world where they must compete in deadly gladiator games to survive.
- A young girl is chosen to be the new queen of her kingdom, but she must first pass a series of tests to prove her worthiness.
- A young farmer discovers that he has the power to heal others with his touch.
- A group of adventurers finds a magical sword that grants them superhuman strength.
- A wizard travels back in time and meets her younger self.
- A young girl discovers that she can transform into a dragon.
- A group of thieves stumbles upon a treasure map leading to a hidden city of gold.
- A princess is kidnapped and held for ransom by a band of pirates.
- A group of mercenaries is hired to protect a shipment of magical crystals.
- A kingdom is beset by a curse that turns its citizens into animals.
- A wizard must enter into a deadly Competition to win back his freedom.
- A group of kids finds themselves trapped in a haunted amusement park overnight.
- A young girl discovers she has the power to heal others with her touch.
- A group of friends must journey into a dark forest to rescue their kidnapped loved ones.
- A wizard must find a way to stop an evil sorcerer from taking over the kingdom.
- A band of rebels fights against an oppressive dictatorship.
- A group of strangers is drawn together to protect a mystical object from falling into the wrong hands.
- A young man discovers he is the heir to a powerful throne but must first overcome many obstacles to claim it.
- A team of scientists works to perfect a serum that will grant immortality.
- Adventurers travel to a mysterious island, searching for hidden treasure.
- A group of people is suddenly transported to a world where magic is commonplace.
- An elf must find a way to free her people from enslavement by the humans who have conquered their land.
- A group of adventurers finds a treasure map that leads them to a hidden city of gold.
- A musician discovers she has the power to control the minds of others with her music.
- A group of rebels fights against an evil empire that has enslaved their people.
- A wizard goes on a quest to find the six magical items that will unlock the power of the elements.
- A group of friends must prevent an ancient evil from rising from the dead and taking over the world.
- A group of strangers is drawn together by fate to save a kingdom from a dark curse.
- A group of refugees fleeing a war-torn country find themselves in a strange and magical land.
- A young girl is chosen to become the next Queen of Faerie and must protect her people from an evil sorcerer.
- An orphaned boy is taken in by a group of outlaws who teach him how to fight and steal to survive in the harsh world outside the law.
- A group of friends must unite to stop an ancient evil from awakening.
- A young girl discovers she has magical powers and must stop an evil wizard from taking over the kingdom.
- A group of strangers is drawn together by fate to save the world from destruction.
- A team of superheroes fights to keep the world safe from villains.
- A group of refugees must journey across a dangerous landscape to find safety.
- A band of outlaws searches for treasure to save their home from being destroyed.
- A group of unlikely heroes must work together to defeat a powerful enemy.
- A young wizard goes on a dangerous quest to find the answers he seeks.
- An elf must leave her home behind to save her people from certain destruction.
- A group of adventurers travels through time and space to battle ancient monsters bent on destroying the world as we know it.
- A group of people with special abilities band together to take down a corrupt government.
- A young girl discovers she has the power to transform into animals.
Classic Examples of Fantasy Stories
Fantasy stories are a genre of fiction that typically involve magical creatures, spells, and otherworldly settings. They can be set in any period or location and often feature a young protagonist who must learn to harness their powers and save the world from evil. Fantasy stories can be written for children or adults, ranging from light-hearted adventures to dark, complex epics.
Some of the most famous fantasy stories include J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, C.S. Lewis’s The Chronicles of Narnia, George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, and JK Rowling’s Harry Potter series.
The Main Elements of a Typical Fantasy Story
A typical fantasy story usually follows a young protagonist thrust into a dangerous world full of strange creatures and magical powers. This person must then learn how to navigate this new world and complete various tasks and challenges to save the day. Along the way, they typically meet colorful allies and enemies, all of whom help to shape them into the hero they were always meant to be.
A typical fantasy story typically involves characters who are either “mundane” or “magical.” Mundane characters are just your average, everyday people with no extraordinary abilities, while magical characters have powers that set them apart from the rest of the world.
In most cases, the story will follow the magical characters as they journey to find some sort of magical artifact or complete a quest that will save the world from destruction. Along the way, they will face many challenges and obstacles, but with enough courage and determination, they will eventually succeed.
The story usually takes place in a fantastical setting, such as a medieval kingdom or a faraway land of dragons and wizards. The story’s goal is for the heroes to vanquish the evil enemy and restore peace to the land.
What Should Your Fantasy Story Be About?
If you’re looking to write a fantasy story, you first need to develop a premise or concept you want to explore. Are you interested in exploring the high stakes of war between kingdoms? Or perhaps you want to focus on the magical creatures that inhabit a fantastical world? Whatever your interest, focus on grounding your story in a strong, well-defined world.
One of the best ways to do this is by creating a detailed map of your world. This can help you come up with ideas for new locations, characters, and plot points. It can also help you visualize the world and its various inhabitants.
Once you have a good idea for your story, it’s time to start writing! Be sure to focus on creating believable characters and tense action scenes. And don’t forget the all-important element of magic! Make sure your magic system is well-defined and consistent and that it adds something unique to your story.
Above all, have fun with your story! Let your imagination run wild and explore all the possibilities your fantastical world offers.
How To Write a Fantasy Character
First and foremost, your character should be believable within the story’s context. They should also be interesting and likable so the reader will want to follow their journey.
One of the best ways to create a believable and compelling fantasy character is to start with a strong archetype. There are many different archetypes, so you should pick one that best fits your story and writing style. Some of the most popular archetypes include the rebel, the rebel without a cause, the lost soul, the orphan, and the outcast.
Once you’ve chosen an archetype, you need to give your character a backstory. This backstory will help define who they are and why they do what they do. It should also be consistent with the archetype you’ve chosen. For example, if your character is an orphan, their backstory should involve being abandoned or orphaned at a young age.
Your character’s physical appearance is also important. You should describe them in detail so that the reader can picture them in their mind. If you’re having trouble coming up with ideas, you can use online resources like Pinterest to get inspired.
Finally, you’ll need to develop a personality for your character. What makes them tick? What motivates them? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Again, ensuring that these aspects of their personality are consistent with the archetype you’ve chosen is important.
Once you’ve got all of this figured out, it’s time to start writing! Make sure to give your readers plenty of insight into your character’s thoughts and feelings so they can connect with them personally. The more invested they are in your character’s story, the more enjoyable the reading experience will be.
What Makes a Good Fantasy World
Many elements come into play, but some of the most important include:
- A rich history and mythology: A good fantasy world should have a rich history and mythology that helps readers understand the world they are reading about. This can include anything from legends and folklore to the backstory of the characters and creatures in your story.
- Vivid setting: The setting is one of the most important aspects of any story, especially fantasy stories. The world should be immersive and evocative, drawing readers into the story and immersing them in the experience.
- Interesting and diverse characters: One of the best things about fantasy worlds is that they offer a wide range of possibilities for character development. Characters can be anything from brave knights to cunning wizards, and it’s up to you to create an interesting and relatable cast.
- Exciting plot: For a fantasy story to work, it needs an exciting plot that will keep readers hooked until the end. This could include anything from epic battles to daring rescues or even a quest to save the world from destruction.
Creating a good fantasy world is not easy, but it’s worth it if you want to write an amazing story. By focusing on these key elements, you can create a world in which your readers will love getting lost.
Why Fantasy Is So Popular
First and foremost, fantasy allows us to explore new worlds and experience different cultures without having to leave our homes. It’s a way to escape from the mundane realities of our everyday lives and enter into a magical realm where anything is possible.
It allows us to tap into our inner creativity and imagination. Without worrying about real-world consequences, we can become heroes, villains, mages, warriors, and more.
Fantasy is a genre that is ripe with possibilities. There are endless storylines and plot arcs that can be explored, which is why it continues to be one of the most popular genres in literature and entertainment.
Taking Fables and Myths in a Different Direction
Fables and myths are some of the oldest storytelling devices in the world. They can be used to explore timeless truths about humanity or to inspire new and exciting adventures. However, sometimes it can be fun to take these old stories in a new direction.
Here are 10 ideas for doing just that:
- What if the heroes of ancient myths were villains?
- What if the monsters in the fables were misunderstood creatures?
- What if a fable or myth’s ending completely differed from what we know?
- What if the characters in a fable or myth were based on real people?
- What if the events of a fable or myth happened in the present day?
- What if the setting of a fable or myth was changed to a different time or place?
- What if the characters in a fable or myth had modern-day problems and concerns?
- What if the interpretation of a fable or myth was changed?
- What if the story of a fable or myth was told from a different point of view?
- What if the events of a fable or myth were retold in a more contemporary style?
The Most Popular Type of Fantasy
Some popular types include adventure stories, epic fantasies, and supernatural horror stories.
- Adventure fantasy stories usually involve a group of heroes who quest to save the world from a great evil. These stories can be very exciting and action-packed, often including mystery and suspense.
- Epic fantasies are long, sweeping stories that follow the adventures of a hero or group of heroes as they journey across a vast landscape. These stories can often be quite complex, with many different characters and subplots. Epic fantasy is one of the most complex genres.
- Supernatural horror fantasies are based on the premise that the world is haunted by ghosts, witches, monsters, and other supernatural creatures. These stories often combine elements of horror and suspense with fantasy tropes such as magic and mythical creatures.
Other fantasy types include:
- Dark Fantasy
- Urban Fantasy
- Magical Realism
- Fairy Tales
- High Fantasy
- Modern Fantasy
Popular Fantasy Authors
- Terry Pratchett
- JK Rowling
- Brandon Sanderson
- JRR Tolkien
- Neil Gaiman
- George RR Martin
How Fantasy Differs From Science Fiction
Fantasy is a genre of speculative fiction that typically features supernatural or magical elements. On the other hand, science fiction is a genre of speculative fiction that typically features futuristic or imaginary concepts such as advanced science and technology, space exploration, time travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life. In movies, Star Wars is a classic example.
Fantasy is generally more focused on worlds and characters than science or social commentary. In contrast, science fiction is more interested in exploring the implications of scientific ideas and technologies. Fantasy also tends to be more optimistic and idealistic than science fiction, which can often be dark and dystopian. Additionally, fantasy is often seen as more accessible and entertaining than science fiction, which can sometimes be dense and complex.
Ultimately, the distinction between fantasy and science fiction comes down to what each genre tries to achieve. Fantasy aims to create a world different from our own, while science fiction uses futuristic concepts to explore the world we live in today.